Data Updater is a data retrieval agent that automatically checks for all inspection, violation, and crash data. When a new crash, inspection or violation is posted, Vigillo Data Updater feeds that information into your scorecards. You can view this new data on the Daily Updates scorecard, or be notified daily by email when there is activity by your drivers.
NOTE: You must be signed up with Daily Updates email, and have the Vigillo Data Updater installed to receive daily emails.
Have your Vigillo login ID and password ready. Click here to register or reset your password.
Have your FMCSA login User ID and Password ready. Click here to make sure you can login to your FMCSA Portal account.
Make sure your computer meets system requirements (below).
Verify that you have administrative privileges for installation of Vigillo Data Updater. If you do not have permission, contact your IT department to assist with the install.
- Admin Permissions to install software applications.
- Access to the Vigillo CSA website.
- The Vigillo Data Updater role on your Vigillo user.
IT technical information
- Open Ports – Port 443 and Port 80
- Vigillo Website - whitelist URL: https://customer.vigillo.com
- FMCSA Portal - whitelist URL: https://portal.fmcsa.dot.gov/login
To complete the setup, Vigillo Data Updater requires that you enter your current Vigillo and a FMCSA Portal credentials. Click here for Vigillo or FMSCA login help.
From the homepage, click the three bars on the top–left to bring up the side bar menu, then select CSA Daylight.
From the CSA page, click on the Home tab.
Click the Download Vigillo Data Updater button.
Save the file to your computer, Click Run when the download is complete.
A pop-up window will appear asking if you want the program “Vigillo Data Updater”, click Yes.
A progress bar will show the install status.
When the installation is complete, Click on the Vigillo icon in your toolbar at the bottom to Open the Vigillo Data Updater settings window.
NOTE: You must populate both the Vigillo and FMCSA logins in the Vigillo Data Updater for a successful setup.
- Locate the Data Updater icon. If you do not see it at the bottom of your computer screen click on the white triangle by the date and time (system tray).
Setting up the Vigillo Credentials
- Go to the Vigillo tab and enter your Vigillo username and password.
- Select the Test button to confirm the link to the Vigillo servers.
- A pop-up confirmation message will appear with a green checkbox when the Vigillo Data Updater has connected to the Vigillo servers. If you get an "invalid" message, please check your credentials and enter them again.
Setting up the FMSCA Credentials
- Click on the FMCSA tab, then select the Add DOT button.
- Enter your DOT#, FMCSA Portal User ID, and Password, then click the Test button.
- A pop-up confirmation message will appear with a green checkbox when the Vigillo Data Updater has connected to the FMSCA servers. If you get a "Cannot log in to Compass.." message, please check your DOT# credentials and enter them again.
In order to begin receiving Daily Updates, you must add a DOT Number with a valid FMCSA Portal user ID and current password to the Vigillo Data Updater software. This password is issued by the FMCSA and is unique to your FMCSA Compass Portal Account. Click here for FMSCA Portal Support
NOTE: The FMCSA Portal password is different from your Vigillo customer account login and password.
Adding Your FMCSA Password:
Locate the Data Updater icon. If you do not see it at the bottom of your computer screen click on the white triangle by the date and time (system tray).
- Go to the FMCSA Portal tab. Click Add DOT.
- Enter your DOT Number and your FMCSA login information.
- Click Test.
- Click OK. You will now notice that both the Vigillo and FMCSA tabs have green circles with white checks.
- Click OK to exit Data Updater.
Set up is now complete. In about 20 minutes you will be able to login to Vigillo and see the latest FMCSA postings for inspections, violations and crashes in your Daily Update Scorecard. Within the next 24 hours, you will receive an alert email to notify you if there has been any new postings on your FMCSA portal.
NOTE: Due to federal regulations, your FMCSA Portal password expires every 90 days.
For full instructions on how to update your FMCSA password click here.
BACK TO TOP
If you’re having trouble installing or using Vigillo Data Updater or are not receiving Vigillo Daily Updates as expected, please try the troubleshooting tips below.
If You cannot login to Vigillo:
Check your Username: Your Vigillo login ID is your email address. In rare instances it is a DOT number.
Request a New Password: You can request a new password by having an email sent to you that will give you a temporary password.
You can update the password sent to you by going to edit profile once logged into Vigillo.
If you cannot login to the FMCSA Portal:
Go to FMCSA Compass Portal. Try to login once.
You will need your 3 security questions.
If your password is not working—Click on Forgot your Password. Enter your FMCSA user ID and then answer the three security questions. Create a new password.
If you do not know your user ID—Click on Forgot your User ID. Enter your email address and then answer the three security questions. Your User ID will be emailed to you.
If you’re on the home tab but you do not see the Data Updater Download button:
Contact Vigillo Customer Support by email to update your permissions.
After starting the wizard you see Repair, Modify or Remove:
Data Updater is already installed on your computer.
If you want to uninstall the program, click remove and follow wizard, otherwise please exit out of this screen.
Data Updater Tips
If after running the install Wizard you do not see the Set up Box:
Look for the Vigillo Icon on the Windows bar—JRE Error—Install JAVA
If you cannot locate the Data Updater ICON:
Look in the System Tray and show hidden icons
Find this by locating a white triangle by the date and time in the Windows bar.
If you get a Login to FMCSA Portal Error Message:
- Could not log in to Compass for DOT ” ”—Check your FMCSA Portal username and password to ensure it is entered correctly.
- DOT ” ” is not Configured for Vigillo Account—Check your DOT number to ensure it is the correct DOT.
- Check your Vigillo Login from the Vigillo tab. Click Test to ensure this login is working. If not, see Login to Vigillo Error Message.